Monday, May 5, 2008

Week 7: del.icio.us and Library Thing, continued

Del.icio.us

It took me a while to locate my del.icio.us and post to del.icio.us buttons on my computer ( I am using window Vista and having trouble to get familiar with it). First of all, I want to say Learning 2.0 is really a good program to motivate myself to keep learning and improve my online learning skills. Just for practice to get myself familiar with del.icio.us social bookmarking site, I have created my bookmarks on del.icio.us as you can see on http://del.icio.us/creationwang. I set up link to it both in this post and on the left hand side bar of my blog site.


The way to set up link to my del.icio.us bookmarking account in this post is as follows: go to del.icio.us, sign in your account, go to help and go to a guide to sharing bookmarks, got to Linkrolls , then copy the above HTML code from there and paste in your blog post(in Edit Html window).

I also put my del.icio.us bookmarking link on the left hand side bar in my blog site by the following steps: on my blog site, go to Customize, which is located on the top right side corner, then go to Choose a New Page Element, then choose HTML/Javascript(Add to blog).

It is great that del.icio.us allows me to save all my bookmarks in one place and classify them with meaningful tags to me, and I can access to them from any PC with internet access. It is also good to share bookmarks with others and see how other people tagged the same links and websites. It is a way to find websites that I may be interested in.

Cleverland Public Library's tags were set up to link evaluated bookmarked sites on del.icio.us, where a wide users can share bookmarks. It saves lots of time for people to locate relevant websites on their research projects.

Technorati

I did keyword search : bookmobile, it returned 607 results. Then I tried Advanced search, tag search: bookmobile, I got 26 posts. I tried both keyword search and Tag search: nswpln2008, but they all returned no hits. Advanced search feature seemed not working well. Tag search depends on how the blogs were being tagged.

LibraryThing

I like the social networking aspect of LibraryThing. It's interesting to see what other people read and how they tagged the same titles. The function to create an online catalog of my personal book collection and the features to see everyone elses via book titles, authors and tags will be helpful to provide reader advisory service to library clients.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Ahh! great, thanks, I have been having trouble putting a link on to my blog from delicious...I will now go and have a try ...thanks again